Friday, February 26, 2016

Banana Cake or Bust

Whether you approve or not, it's impossible not to put your faith and trust in strangers while traveling. Some backpackers probably do it more than others. I am likely one of those such backpackers.

When I arrive in Hue, I toppled off my bus, disoriented (it is always like this when arriving in a new city) and still sick. A Vietnamese guy found me, asked if I already had a place to stay, proceeded to tell me that he had just opened a new hostel one month ago, it was nice, had hot showers, was $5/night and included breakfast, and would I like him to take me there on his motorbike?

Yes. Yes, I would very much.

Within minutes we had arrived, and I was checked in to a bottom bunk bed, in a room, on a quiet street in Hue (pronounced “Way” with an “H”), a city known for the decaying and crumbling Citadel, a World Heritage Site and old capital of the Nguyen emperors. After a rest and lunch, I decided, I would find the Citadel – sniffles and all.


- - -

Well, plans never go as planned. Having just sat down and ordered my lunch, I watched another woman, about my age, walk in, sit down, and order her lunch. As no one seemed to be joining her, I walked over to introduce myself and see if she'd care for some company.

Eight hours later, I was hugging Jenny goodbye having had a ridiculously enriching conversation and feeling wholly content with the fact that we had detoured from our original plan to tour the Citadel together and instead went in search of banana cake.

Most days, my friends, banana cake and cool people definitely top ancient palaces and royal tombs.

- - -

The following day, I did make it to the Citadel to explore the Forbidden Purple City within the Imperial Enclosure. During the days of the emperor, this area was super duper exclusive to basically him, the royal concubines, and eunuchs. These days, the place is sprawling with tourists and the “walls come crumbling down” - and yet, discovering the beauty, design, and spectacular architecture amidst the gardens and ornate buildings is certainly part of the old city's ancient charm.




No comments:

Post a Comment