Monday, February 22, 2016

Observations

I've made a few observations during my time in Vietnam thus far:

1.) ALWAYS bring toilet paper and soap to the bathroom. It seems these rather common (or so I thought) bathroom staples are often insufficient or missing altogether…

2.) You are looked at with the same quizzical expression for not eating meat in Vietnam as you are for not eating meat in Wisconsin.

3.) Northern Vietnam in late February/early March does NOT feel like summer. At all.

4.) If you want to feel like a celebrity, ride on the back of a motorbike through a minority village when the kids get off school. You'll get more hellos, smiles, and high fives than you know how to handle.

5.) There are adorable, stray puppies everywhere. Don't become attached. You will want to bring one (or five) home with you.

6.) The Vietnamese tourists might wave you over with a camera in their hands. They don't want you to take their picture. They want to take a picture with you. So, practice your “peace” fingers.

2 comments:

  1. Are you still in Vietnam?!? Thought I'd check in to see how you're doing! Hope you're well (and that you haven't run out of TP)! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen! So lovely to hear from you! Thanks for checking in :-) I wasn't able to access my blog in Vietnam because of a firewall, so I'm just getting a chance to update it! My tourist visa ended, so now I'm in Cambodia. Relaxing for a few days then heading to Siem Reap to see a bunch of temples :-) Hope you're well! If you're on Facebook, please add me! I update much more often on there :-) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete